The village where David and Friederike Maass lived and raised their family after about 1856. In 1939, this village had about 357 inhabitants.
Click on images for an enlarged view
(photos taken in April 2007)
Many members of the Maass family were baptized, confirmed, and married in the Evangelical Church in Hohen Schönau. However, it appears that only the bell tower remains from their time, the current brick sanctuary was built in the 1890's. David, Friederike and several of their grandchildren died in Hohen Schönau and would have been buried in the church cemetery which has since been obliterated.
© - Gene Maas
rev. Feb 2010