Braunsforth lies a few miles north of Freienwalde and just west of the Wothschwien Lake. In 1871 there were 218 had 179 inhabitants in 1905, 255 inhabitants in 1910 and 360 inhabitants living in 94 households in 1939.
(Source: Paul Schulz Der Kreis Saatzig und die kreisfreie Stadt Stargard. Ein pommersches Heimatbuch. (Hrsg.). Leer: Rautenberg, 1984)
Reprinted courtesy of Dr. Vita von Wedel
Click on images for an enlarged view
The old and new manor houses of the von Wedel family in Braunsforth.
The original manor house on the right burned down in 1917.
The new manor house was built sometime between 1893 and 1911; the exact date is unknown.
The von Wedel mansion was one of the most well-known manor houses in Kr. Saatzig.
At the time that the Julius Maass family lived in Braunsforth, Hugo von Wedel was the estate owner.
There are no surviving members of the Braunsforth branch of the von Wedel family. Hugo and his wife, Bertha, had no children and left the estate to his nephew Busso, the son of his brother Rudolph. Busso died in 1911. The estate was inherited by his oldest son Hugo, who died as a lieutenant in 1914 (World War I). The estate passed to his younger brother Rudolph (1897-1959), who married Margarethe von Campe (1894-1948). They had no children.
These black and white postcard photos were dated 1915; the color postcard depicting the von Wedel manor, the pub/restaurant and school was sent in 1916.
by Gene Maas
The old German cemetery where Julius and Emilie Maass' daughters, Martha and Emma, are probably buried. It is located 1.1 km south of the church.
All the gravestones have been destroyed and the cemetery has been abandoned.
The former von Wedel manor house viewed from the front and the back
Barns on the von Wedel estate in Braunsforth.
The date on the red brick barn indicates it was built in 1883.
Site of the sheep barns where Julius Maass worked as a shepherd.
The ruins of the foundation where Gene Maas is standing may be those of the house.
A much larger foundation 30 to 50 yards behind him appears to be that of the sheep barns.
The area is now overgrown with trees and brush. Only the largest trees may have stood here in 1895 when Julius and his family immigrated to Minnesota.
This site is located about one mile south of Braunsforth.
© - Gene Maas
rev. Nov 2006