Regenwalde, Kr. Regenwalde, Pomerania (Resko, Poland)
Population of Regenwalde grew from 3,363
residents in 1875 to 5,014 in 1939.
Click on images for an enlarged view
Entering Regenwalde from the south Regenwalde Town Hall (erected in 1841)
Regenwalde stores and apartments
The church in Regenwalde was built at the end of the 14th century in the Gothic style.
The church was rebuilt after several fires (the biggest in 1916) and in 1881 a tower 216 feet high was added.
After World War II, this Evangelische Church was consecrated as a Catholic Church
and is now known as the Church of Holy Mary of the Immaculate Conception.
Church entrance and tower Closeup and detail of church door
Several of David and Friederike Maass' children were baptized and confirmed in this church.
Julius Wilhelm Albert Maass was baptized here 20 December 1846;
Johann August David Maass on 28 July 1844;
Johanna Ernstine (Maass) Luedtke on 14 July 1850; and
Eduard Franz Wilhelm Maass on 28 March 1853
Confirmation dates were:
Carl Friedrich Erdmann Maass on 24 March 1850.
Johanne Wilhelmine Karoline (Maass) Hartwig on 4 April 1852
Johann Friedrich Wilhelm Maass on 9 April 1854
August Heinrich Eduard Maass on 16 March 1856
(Photo by Joyce Gardner, Sept. 2002)
Monument dedicated to Dr. Carl Sprengel
Dr. Sprengel was a renowned agronomist and chemist who conducted pioneering research in agricultural chemistry during the first half of the 19th century. He was an innovative and noted scientist and educator who made many outstanding contributions in the fields of soil and plant science. He postulated a new theory of plant mineral nutrition known as the Law of the Minimum and wrote fundamental text books on soil chemistry, plant nutrition and fertilizers, and crop production. In 1842, he founded a private agricultural academy and experiment station in Regenwalde where he tested his theories of plant nutrition in the field. Sprengel also founded a farm machinery factory and a dairy factory in Regenwalde.
[For more on the life of Dr. Sprengel, the reader is referred to an article by R. R. van der Ploeg, W. Böhm, and M. B. Kirkham entitled, "On the Origin of the Theory of Mineral Nutrition of Plants and the Law of the Minimum" published in 1999 in the Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 63:1055–1062.]
(photos were taken May 1, 2007)
Gene Maas posing at the monument Buildings across the street from the monument (farm equipment factory?)
For more photos of Regenwalde,
Click on http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mnprgm/Regenwalde/Regenwalde/index.html
David Maass Biography
2001 Trip Report
Table of Contents
© - Gene Maas
rev. 15 Feb 2011